Insurance Scheme Appeals Service
Have you been refused access to the
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)?
Do you have concerns about your current
You might eligible for a review through
What is the NDIS Appeals
The NDIS Appeals Service provides
assistance to people that have concerns regarding decisions made by
the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) about their access
to the NDIS or the contents of their NDIS plan.
NDIS Appeals Services are offered across
Australia by independent organisations. In NSW, Synapse is a
provider of the service.
The Synapse NDIS Appeals Service provides
independent advice and support to help people review decisions made
by the NDIA about their NDIS access or their plan.
Who can access NDIS
The NDIS Appeals service is open to
- has been denied access to the NDIS
- is unsatisfied with what is included in their NDIS plan.
How much does it cost to submit an
There is no cost to an individual
submitting a review through the NDIS Appeals Service.
What decisions can be
Synapse can support you through a review of a range of decisions
under the NDIS Appeals service including:
- if your access to the NDIS has been refused
- if you are unhappy with the types of supports funded in your
- if you are not satisfied with the amount of funding included in
your NDIS Plan.
How does the appeals process
Our NDIS Appeals team will discuss your
situation with you to help determine whether an NDIS Appeal is
right for you. The process will involve:
- Reviewing the documentation you have received from the NDIA.
This may be letters regarding your access to the NDIS, or, your
- If you have a NDIS plan, then we'll work with you to understand
your goals and consider whether these can be met by the supports
included in your NDIS plan.
- Our NDIS Appeals team will then provide you with advice on
whether proceeding with an NDIS Appeal is the right option for
- We can then support you through the NDIS Appeals process.
How else can Synapse
The first step is likely to be raising
your concerns directly with the NDIA for internal review. There may
also be an option for a review through the Administrative Appeals
Tribunal. Either way, Synapse will be with you at every step of the
- assist you in gathering information that will support you in
your NDIS Appeal
- advocate for you or assist you to advocate for yourself
- attend hearings and review meetings with you
- assist you to access legal assistance and funding if required
during the NDIS Appeals process.
If you have a concern or complaint about services related to
your disability, Synapse staff can help you raise a complaint and
then help guide you through the process. We can assist with
complaints to be raised via the
National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA),
NSW Ombudsman, Commonwealth Ombudsman or
1800 673 074