On August 17, we had an art therapy workshop in our Peer to Peer support group with therapist, Vashti Taverner.
The focus was on the topic of “Support”, thinking about what support means to each of the participants. Some other phrases people used to describe support are “self-care” or “filling your cup”. These ideas were explored in a visual/pictorial form – some are pictured below.
Some goals of art therapy are:
- Develop art skills
- Engage in meaningful activity
- Resolution of feelings of grief and loss
- Trauma recovery
- Reduce anxiety and self-talk
- Management/regulation of emotions
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- Improved mental health and well-being
- Reduce feelings of social isolation and loneliness
- Develop problem solving skills
Vashti Taverner is an Art Therapist located in the inner western suburbs of Sydney. She works extensively with people who have experienced neurological conditions and physical disabilities as a result of illness, accident or injury. She also works with families, individuals and young people who have experienced trauma, adversity, relationship breakdowns and domestic violence.